What is a studio apartment? Is that your biggest question now? Today, studio apartment become more and more popular in many countries, especially in metropolitan cities, where are lack of space. And it’s hard for you to find the right placed. Let’s read this blog below, you can answer your wonder and know exactly which you need.
1. What does a studio apartment mean?
1.1 A brief definition
Normally, a studio apartment is known as an apartment that consists of a single large room and a bathroom. The single room serves the functions of a living room, a kitchen, a dining room, and a bedroom. Sometimes, you would find a small cooking corner, or a kitchenette, separated from other parts of the room. And also, the bed may be temporarily detached by curtains, creating a specific type of studio apartment known as ‘alcove studio’.
>>>> READ MORE: House Lease Contract in Vietnam 2022
1.2 Global variations
Studio apartment is definitely the most common name for this type of property, but there is a wide range of variations around the world. For example, ‘studio flat’ is the more prevalent term in the UK. As for Kenya, ‘efficiency apartment’ is usually used to describe such properties, as it is an economical option for those living on a budget. In Nigeria, ‘self-contained apartment’ is the precise word to describe the distinct feature of these apartments.
With its limited size, a studio apartment is the ideal choice for those who want to avoid sharing their living space, hence, it is referred to as ‘bachelor apartment’ in Canada.In Vietnam, the term ‘Căn hộ studio’ is used to describe studio apartment, in which the phrase ‘căn hộ’ refers to apartments.
2. What does a studio apartment look like?
2.1 Floor plan of a studio apartment
A studio apartment is usually part of a larger house. Inside each apartment, you will find a common space with multiple purposes, as well as a separate bathroom. The common space is usually furnished with a sofa, TV, closet, and bed.
The kitchen can be a recess to prevent cooking smells from emanating around the property. It is equipped with basic cooking utilities, such as a microwave, stove, cookware, and utensils. If there is extra space, a dining table set can be placed within, allowing you to enjoy home-cooked meals without accidentally spilling your sofa.
2.2 What does a studio apartment consist of?
Studio apartments may have the drawback of limited space, but that feature also makes it easier to furnish the area. Besides necessities such as bed, closet, chair and table set, basic cookware, and bathroom accessories, extra appliances can be installed, giving you superb living convenience.
To maintain comfortable temperature, most studio apartments are equipped with air conditioning, as well as a water heater in the bathroom. For entertainment, most have a TV, combined with cable and Internet service. Although you may be charged for high-speed Internet connection, the cost is not too much to worry about.
If you are expecting an airy space for relaxation, many studio apartments include a private balcony. In addition, because most studios are located within a building, there can be a shared rooftop terrace for residents. This is a great place to chill out and observe the panoramic view of your neighboring areas. Most studio apartments have a public parking lot, with safeguards watching your vehicles 24/24. Some even have security cameras installed in different corners to avoid intruders.
2.3. What is a good size of studio apartment?
The size of a studio apartment in your area is determined by several factors. Availability of space, regulations from local authorities, or common practices of the local market. For example, the minimum size for a studio flat’s square footage in London is around 37 meters. While in the US, the size can range from 45 to 65 square meters.
3. The pros of a studio apartment
Shared studios have an inviting and fun open vibe. If you’re considering living in a studio instead of a one-bedroom, here are some of the advantages that come with this type of apartment:
- Unique layout: Typically, studios boast a chic, trendy space where all of your belongings are in close proximity. For some people, this is a major selling point.
- Price: Typically, a studio costs less to rent because it has less square footage. And because studios are smaller than other spaces, including a one-bedroom, you’ll likely pay less in rent and utility bills. However, this isn’t always true. Some larger units or those in large cities may come with a higher price tag.
- Location: If you want to live in the middle of a big city, studios are a great option. They give you access to cool, hip areas downtown.
- Simplicity: Since there is only one main room, filling it with too much furniture is not an option. This gives you a chance to get rid of unnecessary items, simplify and bring in only the essentials to your place. Whether you’re an avid reader with many books or a minimalist, this type of living arrangement is more favorable for those without a lot of belongings.
4. Cos of a studio apartment
As with anything, there are pros and cons to any life situation. While smaller units have a lot of perks, here are some downsides to this lifestyle:
- Lack of storage: The size of the typical studio apartment many country is usually expected that it’s between 400 and 600 square feet. It’s not enough area for storage space, so which is exactly difficult for who lives here. Morever, if you work from home, this small space maybe make you uncomfortable, specially when you was sink in deadline.
- Limited privacy: The walls are thin and the layout of the rooms is such that it would be difficult to have any kind of privacy if you had a roommate. If you’re looking for an apartment where you can have some privacy, these apartments are not for you. The main point is that you have to share sleeping area.
4. Difference between studio and one-bedroom apartment?
4.1 What is a one bedroom apartment?
At first thought, many people can get confused between a studio and one bedroom flat. And in fact, there are just some slight disparities between these two types of property. For studio, the bed is placed in the common space, and only gets temporarily detached on a few occasions. Meanwhile, the bed of the latter is completely closed off with a permanently installed wall.
4.2 How to distinguish between a studio and one bedroom apartment?
The biggest difference between a studio and a 1 bedroom apartment is the separate bedroom. A studio typically has one large room that serves as the living room, bedroom and kitchen, while the latter has a separate bedroom. This can make a big difference in terms of privacy and noise level, as well as overall space.
Next, we can refer about the size. One bedroom flat is usually larger than a studio apartment. On average, a studio in the US is about 40 to 65 square meters in size. This means that bedroom flat have more space, on average, than studio apartments. This can be important for people who want more space to live in or who want to have separate rooms for different activities. Besides that, with lager room, you can have more space to decorate and fill it with furniture.
6. Studio apartment in Danang, Vietnam
Danang is becoming increasingly attractive for expats in Vietnam with well-paid occupations, lucrative business opportunities, highly secure neighborhoods, and impressive scenery. Studio apartments are also rising in popularity here, with several amenities enclosed with the properties, assuring to bring the best living experience for foreign customers.
For studio apartments in Danang, you may gain the advantage of stylish, pre-decorated interior. From traditional to modern, rustic to contemporary design, you can easily find something that matches your taste through House Rental Danang websites. The rental price for one in Danang goes from $200 to $300 per month on average.
Now you know to answer “what is a studio apartment?“. It is an economical option that offers decent living standards when properly chosen. A perfect accommodation is not necessarily the most splendid one, but it is the one that fits your budget, one that grants you a comfortable and inspiring environment. With the guidance above, we hope you will find your perfect apartment.